Matlock Elephant is found at Park Head Road on the gable end of a mock Tudor building on the wall facing Hall Leys Park in Matlock
It is a painting of a black elephant.
Original this was a relief with the name NAMUNAH on it and this relates to the time when the building was the premises of Burgon’s a high class grocery and provision store. Their Namunah trademark was the logo of an elephant.
from the Andrews pages
Burgons had arrived in Matlock at the beginning of the twentieth century. They had branches throughout the Midlands and in 1912 their Derbyshire branches were at Bakewell, Buxton and in Crown Square. Another business, Burgon and Son, was trading at Norton. Burgons stores used the logo of a black elephant for their own brands and a black elephant symbol can still be seen on the back of the building today.